Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A year goes fast....

So a year in the life of an OT sure goes fast. Funny I didn't realize that it has been this long until i got a request from someone.
I have to say the job so far has been great - I have been able to really use the knowledge I have accumulated both in school and along the way. I was hired for a unique position in which I get to work with adults in day habilitation programs right in the day habs. Some of you reading this may say to yourself - "of course where else" but up until now at least in my agency all treatment sessions were done in the therapy room separate from the settings that the consumers were spending the rest of their day. Not only have I seen a tremendous change in the response of the consumers but a tremendous response from the staff who can now benefit directly from my knowledge to vastly improve the lives of the people they work with for the rest of the day - when I am only in there for half an hour.
I have even volunteered to start to take on students so I can share what I am doing with them. I think may times we, in school are bombarded with the idea of functional occupations and sometimes when we get in the workforce this quickly gets forfeited. I am fortunate to be in a position unlike many others where I can provide therapy in a slightly unorthodox way - have a good time and provide a great service to the people I work with each day. I hope to be able to do this more and not go another year before blogging about it!!

No comments: